May 1, 2011 § Leave a comment
I’m always on the hunt for a good sale. Why pay full price for anything if you can find a coupon or website that will save you money? Really? It’s like throwing money out the window.
I was out looking and found a few places that are having some good sales right now. Here’s a peek…
- Payless Shoe Source is having a Buy 1, Get 1 for 50% off sale. www.payless.com
- American Eagle Outfitters has an additional 30% off all clearance merchandise. www.ae.com
- Ann Taylor Loft has an additional 30% off sale items. www.anntaylorloft.com
- Banana Republic has 30% off entire order until today – 5/1. Use code: BRKING30. www.bananarepublic.com
- Old Navy has Buy 1, Get 1 50% off through today – 5/1. www.oldnavy.com
- Arden B has Buy 1, Get 1 for $1 on clearance items. That’s right…ONLY $1! Now that is a serious deal. www.ardenb.com
So…If I had only $50 to spend, these are the 3 items I would get today:
www.payless.com – Sweetpea Canvas Wedge – original price: $24.99. Sale price: $19.99 + 20% off coupon (received at Safeway register) = $15.99. You can also use coupon code: 46412 for 20% off. Coupon also works in conjuction with the BOGO sale too.
www.ae.com – Lace mini maxi dress – Original price: $49.95. Sale Price: 39.95 + additional 30% off = $27.97
www.forever21.com – Pressed Leaves Bracelet – Price $5.80
Grand Total: $49.76
Hope you can find something great for just $50. Great items are out there lurking. You just need to find them. Happy Shopping!
April 4, 2011 § 2 Comments
If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m all about getting a great look for a great price. So I’ve put together a short list of some of my favorite spring/summer dresses for 2011. I like each of them for different reasons, but love them all for being under $60. One thing they all have in common…they can transition from day to night with a few quick changes. Below is a day look and night look for each dress. I hope this gets your creative juices flowing and helps you in creating some day/night looks that work for you.
March 23, 2011 § 1 Comment
Now that you’ve discovered some new outfits in your own closet (see post – What’s old is new again), I thought posting some of my top accessory picks for spring 2011 would be another inspiration for you to either look at what you currently have to wear or to buy something new. The best thing about my picks? They are all UNDER $40. It is true! You really can add cute, fun, trendy new items to your wardrobe without breaking the bank.
1. A hat is an essential in any wardrobe. If you don’t own one, you should get one. This one from Nordstrom comes in a variety of colors. You’ll be able to wear it clear through summer. (Collection XII crochet floppy straw hat, $28 – www.nordstrom.com)
2. Bangles are big. These bangles from Alex and Ani are truly my favorite. I own them and love them all piled up on my arm. The more the better. Remember that old fashion rule about not mixing your metals? That no longer applies. Mix away. It even looks better that way. (Alex and Ani expandable wire bracelets, Set of 3, $38 – www.zeeberry.com)
3. I’ve had my eye on these platform wedges for a while. They can go with almost everything and they have a price that is right up my alley. (Cognac Filigree Wicker Platform Wedges $34 – www.lulus.com)
4. Layering necklaces is the craze. If you don’t know how to layer different necklaces then this necklace is for you. It is already layered for you. Throw on with it a pendant necklace from your jewelry box and you’re all set to go. (Fancy drape necklace, $6.80 – www.forever21.com)
5. Spring is the time to look for some new sunglasses and these don’t disappoint. These tortoise-shell frames have a slight cat eye shape, which is hot this season. They have a trendy, yet classic, appeal. (Tortoise-shell small cat eye glasses, $32 – www.topshop.com)
6. Get your floral on this season with a scarf. A scarf is a great accessory, even during warmer months. This one is a must on those cool evenings. (Foulard scarf, $35.92 – www.jcpenney.com)
7. Nothing says spring quite like turquoise. These are a nice size earring which will garner attention and many compliments. (Sky drop earrings, $32 – www.anthropologie.com)
8. Loving the envelope clutch. The envelope clutch is the latest style in clutch bags. I love this one from ebags because of the look and the price. I would also consider one in a great color like coral or blue. (B. Collective Laurello envelope clutch, $33.60 – www.ebags.com)
March 14, 2011 § 6 Comments
As the weather starts to change from a blistering cold winter to a nice balmy spring, my desires for something new to wear becomes almost overwhelming. It has been many long month’s since I had the luxury of spending money on anything but the true necessities, and unfortunately, today is no different. No budget = No shopping. So instead of trudging the malls and cute boutiques for the latest spring trends, I will be shopping my own closet for them. This is not a new concept, by any means. Stylists have been touting this idea for years, but how many of us actually do it? Luckily, spring 2011 isn’t a season of crazy new trends so I’ve found this season to be a good one for trying this out. I am convinced I’ll be able to find a few new looks with all of my old fashions. In fact, this spring it is all about old fashions coming back in a new way, so I think my closet is really the best place to start.
Before shopping a trend, I look to see what trend of the season fits my overall taste and style. This spring I happen to like a few of them.
The first trend I like is the Wide Leg Pant. I’ve always loved this look. The Wide Leg Pant is a very classic style and can be incorporated into the current men’s wear trend. This pant can also have a casual or even bohemian vibe, if you like. A note about wide-legs pants, whether they be jeans, trousers or a palazzos: with all of these styles you can run the risk of having the pant overwhelm your frame. I have found that these styles typically work best on people who are 5′ 5″ and above or have longer legs. I wouldn’t say you can’t wear them if you have a small frame or shorter legs, but you may need to wear high heels to pull off the look. If you’re short in the legs, not high heel minded or just don’t feel this look is right for you, then you might want to try my next trend pick.
My second eye-catching trend is another pant. This one never goes out of style. Just keeps being reinvented. It is the Crop Pant. This pant is on my list because it is a great mommy pant. Literally, everyone I know owns a pair of Capri’s. This season, it is all about the styling of them. This pant can look biker edgy, 60’s classic, or mommy casual. Betty Draper from AMC’s Mad Men has set this look a fire. This look styles perfectly with kitten heels and a crop sweater. I personally love this look with flats. If you are a mom chasing around little one’s, you’ll love wearing them with flats too. It just works. The very best thing about this item is that you don’t need to go out and buy yet another new pair (unless you want to and have the money to spend). If you are anything like me, start closet diving.
The third trend on my list this spring is the ever versatile White Shirt. This item can be casual, formal or even party wear. Whether it’s a button down, tee or tank, you are right on trend with a white shirt. This can be paired with either of my first two trend selections and look totally amazing. The beauty of my picks is that you can be trendy without looking to trendy. My picks are also one’s that will last longer than just one season. Check your closet first but know that if you really feel the urge to buy, you will be able to wear these for seasons to come.
Keep in mind, there are a ton of fashion trends that are still going strong. You cannot go wrong wearing any of these this spring:
- ballet flats
- chambray denim
- flared pants
- bold colors
This season, I challenge you to shop your own closet. You will probably end up finding an amazing outfit or two. I did! My advise… Find what represents your style and be inspired to create looks that work for you and the life you live.
Below are some outfits from my closet shopping trip…
Banana Republic white cotton shirt – 1998 (WOW!), Mossimo tank top – Spring 2009, Hype eyelet and lace skirt – Spring 2003, I.N.C. patent leather wedges – Spring 2009.